Re: Create a Nasty Password with MATHEMATICA

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131760] Re: Create a Nasty Password with MATHEMATICA
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 21:25:48 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/27/13 at 2:30 AM, lvsaba at hotmail.com (Matthias Bode) wrote:

>SeedRandom["wrAslb4&IXc#K"] RandomInteger[{1, 256}, 25]
>FromCharacterCode[%]

>works but I cannot reproduce the result using Alt plus the ASCII
>number given by  RandomInteger[{1, 256}, 25] on my new TOSHIBA
>Satellite machine; original factory settings for the U.S. and QWERTY
>keybord.

>2. Will such an outlandish password be generally understood or are
>there common character usage restrictions which make my exercise
>useless?

Your code allows any possible value for a single byte which
necessarily includes items not easily inputed directly from the keyboard.

Changing RandomInteger[{1,256},25] to RandomInteger[{32,126},25]
restricts the possible characters to things easily inputed
directly from the keyboard which will be an improvement. But
this will still generate strings that certainly will not be
accepted by some systems.