Re: Efficient function to accumulate a list of

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132510] Re: Efficient function to accumulate a list of
  • From: Ray Koopman <koopman at sfu.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 03:56:38 -0400 (EDT)

In[1]:=
particles = { {3.6, 7,4}, {3.4, 8,6}, {2.1, 7,4} };
arr = SparseArray[Rest@#[[1]] -> Tr@#[[All,1]] & /@
      Last@Reap@Scan[Sow[#,{Rest@#}]&,particles], {10,10}]

Out[2]= SparseArray[< 2 >,{10,10}]

In[3]:= Normal[arr]

Out[3]=
{{0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,5.7,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,3.4,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
 {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}}

 In[4]:= $Version

Out[4]= 5.2 for Mac OS X (June 20, 2005)

With v7+, use GatherBy instead of Reap/Scan/Sow.

I remember reading somewhere about an undocumented option in SparseArray that will automatically sum multiple values assigned to the same location, but I don't know remember the details.