Re: Differential Equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132660] Re: Differential Equation
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:40:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/29/14 at 1:33 AM, zmmohamadi at gmail.com (Zohreh) wrote:

>I am going to solve the following differential equation:
>dY(x)/dx=A*f(x)-B*Y(x)

>In which A and B are some parameters, f(x) is a function of x, and
>Y(C)=0 (C is a parameter).

>I tried to solve it in Mathematica by DSolve[Y'[x] == A*f[x] -
>B*Y[x], Y[C] == 0, x]

>But I get the following error DSolve::dsfun: "Y[C]==0 cannot be used
>as a function

>I would highly appreciate it if somebody can help me.

=46irst, it is unwise to use a single capital letter as a variable
name as many already have built-in meaning such as C. But, this
isn't the specific problem with your example.

Second, did you look at the documentation for DSolve? If you do,
you will notice the second argument needs to be a function not
an equation. So, try

DSolve[y'[x] == a*f[x] - b*y[x] && y[c] == 0, y[x], x]