NMinimize problem

I have a function f[x] which I want to minimize, but its rather involved, it will return a number for a numerical x, but if x is symbolic, it's not going to happen.

Trying to use NMinimize, I get errors that are consistent with NMinimize calling f[] with a symbolic argument. Is there something simple I am doing wrong?