Re: NMinimize problem

On 2/17/14 at 11:05 PM, reiser.paul at gmail.com (PAR123) wrote:

>I have a function f[x] which I want to minimize, but its rather
>involved, it will return a number for a numerical x, but if x is
>symbolic, it's not going to happen.

>Trying to use NMinimize, I get errors that are consistent with
>NMinimize calling f[] with a symbolic argument. Is there something
>simple I am doing wrong?

To prevent a function from evaluating with symbolic arguments
define it this way:

In[1]:= f[x_?NumericQ] := 2 x

In[2]:= f[4.7]

Out[2]= 9.4

In[3]:= f[y]

Out[3]= f(y)

Without more detail of your specific issue there isn't anything
I can suggest beyond defining the function to only evaluate with
numeric arguments.