Re: hold question

Many thanks to Bill Rowe, Bob Hanlon, Alexei Bulbitch, Hans Michel, Richard Fateman, and others, for their very useful tips regarding the importantion of dates into Mathematica. Actually, the way I formulated my question was misleading, because I was thinking about importation not only from Excel but also from other highly portable formats, like csv. However, some of the answers were useful also to address this issue.

Francisco