Avoid iteration in pattern test?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132157] Avoid iteration in pattern test?
  • From: Yi Wang <tririverwangyi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 02:30:34 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

I wonder if one can stop pattern test from unnecessary iteration. For example

ClearAll[x, a, b, c, d, f]
x /: f_ x := "matched" /; !FreeQ[f, d]

Trace[a b c x]

One can find that Mathematica first tests if a*b*c is free of d. Then it tests if a*b is free of d, if a*c is free of d, ...

However, we know that if a*b*c is free of d, all the sub-sequences are free of d. Thus is it possible to rewrite the above rule, to stop Mathematica from wasting the efforts?

Thanks a lot!
Yi

PS: currently, I have a workaround -- to hold evolution of x when no match. However, it makes things complicated and less automatic.

x /: f_ x := If[!FreeQ[f, d], "matched", f Hold[x]]