Re: What's in an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132427] Re: What's in an expression?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 03:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

On certain strictly symbol-manipulation questions, giving a
multiple-choice question can give too much of a clue as to the correct
answer. This is most especially the case with symbolic integration,
where the student need only differentiate each of the possible answers
and compare with the integrand.

Getting students to explain, even to organize, their work, is often like
pulling teeth. Terrific if one can do it.

Certainly the ideal is not just to have students explain what they're
doing and why, but to given them much meatier problems. The reality,
especially in the mass-enrollment calculus courses today, is that
there's too often inadequate resources for reading such written work,
whether on paper or in Mathematica documents. Just the paper-shuffling
(or file-shuffling) is often out of the question.

In any case, the questioner was asking about testing a basic symbolic
skill, and for that having the student just provide an answer is often
sufficient.

If a contemporary on-line homework system is being used, then the
instructor can even include a couple of questions in an assignment where
the student, using a palette or keyboard shortcuts for special symbols,
types out an explanation; such a system makes it easy for the instructor
(or TA or other human grader) to go right through all the students' work
in a very efficient manner, without having to handle paper while doing
so and, especially, not have all the time-wasting distraction of handing
papers back in class.

Murray Eisenberg                                murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts