Re: What's in an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132432] Re: What's in an expression?
  • From: W Craig Carter <ccarter at MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 03:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

I've been working on a system which is a hybrid of open-ended programming and multiple choice.  See below about how I am trying to incorporate multiple choice.

I teach a physical sciences course, and use Mathematica to teach physical scientists math, programming, and visualization skills.  The method must scale to a large number of students.

The notebooks have several parts:

1) visualization and explanation of a =93hard" some physical problem.

2) exemplary programming examples as part of smaller consecutive steps to solve the hard problem.

3) programing challenges: steps the students must do themselves to progress to the rest of the problem.  These are supplemented with a password protected exemplary coding technique. After the students have attempted the challenge and succeeded or failed, then they are given a password which gives them a step by step example.  The purpose of this is that the system can continue as the rest of the exercise depends on solving (creating functions, etc) earlier parts.

The method is successful. This is from my personal bias and not assessed as yet.

The following is where I would grateful accept some help or ideas.

However, I find that the students often just click through the instructional parts and example coding.  I need to find a way to slow them down so they read; this is where the  multiple choice comes in.  What I would like is that subsequent cells are opened programmatically only if they get a multiple choice question right.  This comes from a cross post question in http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/210810?p_p_auth=a1ZC6aN3.

Here is a cooked up example of what I want to do:
DialogInput[
   Column[{
     "What is 3 times 2?",
     TabView[{3 -> Tooltip["Wrong", "Oh you are just being silly"],
       Exp[3] -> "Wrong",
       6 -> DefaultButton["Correct", =
DialogReturn[openClosedCell[=93celltag"];True]],
       Cos[Pi/6] -> "Note quite",
       "VI" ->
        DefaultButton["Tu sunt rectam, sed asinus sapien.",
        DialogReturn[openClosedCell[=93celltag"];True], ImageSize -> Full]}, None]
    }
   ],
  Modal -> True];

I don=92t have openClosedCell[=93cell tag=94] working yet, but I hope its purpose is obvious.

The next problem is that I need to embed this into a button that students can use to proceed;
something like (although save your work, because you may need several aborts or quit your kernel).

 Button["Press Here to Continue",
 DialogInput[
    Column[{
      "What is 3 times 2?",
      TabView[{3 -> Tooltip["Wrong", "Oh you are just being silly"],
        Exp[3] -> "Wrong",
        6 -> DefaultButton["Correct", DialogReturn[True]],
        Cos[Pi/6] -> "Note quite",
        "VI" ->
        DefaultButton["Tu sunt rectam, sed asinus sapien.",
         DialogReturn[True], ImageSize -> Full]}, None]
     }
    ],
   Modal -> True];
 ]

I have one answer on Math Community that I haven't worked through yet.

Thanks, Craig

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT