Re: How to avoid repeated recalculation of the same function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132671] Re: How to avoid repeated recalculation of the same function
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 03:39:14 -0400 (EDT)

If g is  calling f with the same arguments all the time, memoize f: f[x_]:=f[x]=<expression>.  Otherwise if the result of f is a simple symbolic expression, evaluate f once for x, then use the result to create another function h which g can call eg. simpleExpression = f[x]; h[y_]:= simpleExpression /. x->y; and call h from g instead of f.