Symbolic manipulation software in teaching

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Symbolic manipulation software in teaching
  • From: "John Yearwood" <JLY at fs3.buc.edu.au>
  • Date: 24 Jan 92 15:20:21 EST

    I am interested in knowing of any implementations of Symbolic
manipulation software, like Mathematica in undergraduate Mathematics
courses.
    Specifically I would like to know of how the course content has
changed, how the assessment changed, as well as how the course was
physically resourced in terms of hardware and software. Any
evaluation of these changes would also be interesting.
    We are hoping to start using DERIVE this year in first year
Engineering and Applied Science Mathematics courses and are
considering Mathematica or Maple in the near future. However we do
not want to re-invent the wheel.
John Yearwood
School of Mathematics and Computing
Ballarat University College