Re: What should Mma be?

  • To: mathgroup <mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What should Mma be?
  • From: HAY at leicester.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 24 NOV 92 21:34:23 GMT

I have a different viewpoint from Warren Wiscombe and several other
correspondents on this matter.

I agree that the mathematical capabilities of Mma need to be improved but
for me as a teacher improving the Notebook front end is very important.

I need it to be as convenient as possible for myself, my colleagues and my
students to communicate effectively and to do math. At the moment I would
rate the provision of proper math output and math typing facilities as
more important than graphics labels; and manipulation of formulae, often a
frustrating and time-consuming part of my work, could also benefit from
improved interfacing.

These are not frills but real day-to-day working aids that can affect not
just how well I can teach but also whether students and colleagues take to
Mathematica in the first place. What I need is simple, direct and flexible
communication on screen and in print -- but there is more and more that I
can only do on screen.

Allan Hayes
hay at leicester.ac.uk