Redirecting Graphics Output

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Redirecting Graphics Output
  • From: "Terry Longrie" <longrie at miller.cs.uwm.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 92 11:18:42 CDT

Hi

I'm trying to find a way to use one command to redirect Mathematica's
graphics output to a file or pipe it through a command.  We have
Mathematica running on a NeXT here but would like to be able to
run it remotely from an X-Terminal and then pipe the graphics to
GhostScript to view.  I've been playing around with the Display
and DisplayFunction commands and I've found that this will work on
a one time basis: (this is all one big command)

 Display["!/usr/bin/psfix > /tmp/math.ps; /usr/local/bin/gs /tmp/math.ps &",
 Plot3D[ Sin[x] Sin[3y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}] ]

However, it's really difficult to do this every time.  Is there any
way to set $Display or $DisplayFunction so that all graphics produced
afterwards will be piped to a command?

					Thank You

					Terry Longrie
					longrie at miller.cs.uwm.edu