NeXT and the NeXT of us!

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: NeXT and the NeXT of us!
  • From: winkel at nextwork.rose-hulman.edu
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 11:50:25 EST

Concerning Elias Saab's question:
****
I would appreciate any comments about the recent news of NeXT selling
its hardware to Cannon. Does this mean the beginning of the end of
the NeXT machines?

What is going  to [happen to] all of us who invested in teaching
classrooms that we  equipped with NeXT machines to teach Calculus and
Mathematica?
*****

I for one do not know anything about the future of NeXT machines.  We
have some 225 or so on campus and for the most part enjoy using them,
especially the operating system, the common features of and movement
between applications, the mail, and Mathematica on the NeXT.
However, we are most anxious about continuation, not of the machines,
but of NeXTStep operating system.  We are giving serious thought here
to asking students (several years from now though) to have their own
notebook computer, say 486, and we believe NeXTStep 486, would serve
us very well on that platform.  Thus while loving the NeXT machines,
at those prices, say compared to a "bland" 486 DOS machine pumped up
with all the goodies of NeXTStep, one may find better pricing.
Certainly NeXTStep on 486 DOS machines may prove cheaper than having
to purchase a 486 DOS machine AND all the goodies included in the
NeXTStep for just plain old DOS machines.

Of course one of the features of Mathematica is the transportability
of notebooks so NeXT and Mathematica need not be the only wedding to
attend.

Frankly, if the company that brought you the NeXT machine and
NeXTStep - both superb feats - is forced (why, I do not fully
understand) to concentrate only on software, I would say they will do
an even more impressive job in this regard.  I do worry about the
bundling aspect of the release though, e.g. will NeXTStep contain all
the applications currently included in the operating system when one
buys the machine, quotation source, dictionary, Mathematica,
MonsterScope, etc.?

I do not feel badly about the decision of NeXT to move out of a line
(NeXT machines) in which they may not have been competing
successfully and concentrate on what they can, clearly, succeed at -
excellent interface software.  But time will tell us more, will it
not?

Brian J. Winkel, Editor
PRIMUS, Cryptologia, Collegiate Microcomputer
Department of Mathematics
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Terre Haute IN 47803 USA
PHONE: 812-877-8412:  FAX 812-877-3198