Question regarding TagSet

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Question regarding TagSet
  • From: Brown Jeffrey Scott <jsbrown0 at lava.mines.colorado.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 93 13:28:47 -0600

TagSet (/:) works fine for expressions of the form:
	f/: g[f[x_]] := stuff

but I would like to use TagSet for the following type of operation:
	f/: Plus[Times[a_,f[x_]],Times[b_,f[x_]]] := (a+b) f[x]
(for instance).

1) In general, is there a way to use TagSet on something of the form
	f/: g[h[f[x]]] :=stuff
2) Is there a simple way to implement the specific instance of

(1) where
g is Plus and h is Times?

Note: if the answer is different, take the following two options:
	(a) f is my own function and therefore I'm happy to change its Attributes.
	(b) f is a predefined function for which I would rather not change its Attributes.

Thank you
--Jeff Brown
jsbrown0 at basalt.mines.colorado.edu (NeXT-mail fine)