Mathematica Question

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mathematica Question
  • From: cooper at cs.ucla.edu (Mark G. Cooper)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 15:33:51 -0700

My question was referred to you from Dr. Vidal at UCLA.  I would like to
generate a three-dimensional plot (and get a solution set) for an implicit
equation of the form x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + xy + xz + yz == 1 (each of the terms
on the left side may be multiplied by a constant--omitted).  The equations
that I am working with will form ellipsoids.

I have tried using the Solve function, but the equation cannot be solved
for any of the three variables.  I would appreciate it if you could
suggest some other way to approach this problem.

Thanks,

Mark Cooper
cooper at cs.ucla.edu