Re: Mathematica Question

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mathematica Question
  • From: markm
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 09:13:18 CDT

Begin forwarded message:

> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 93 15:33:51 -0700
> From: cooper at cs.ucla.edu (Mark G. Cooper)
>

> My question was referred to you from Dr. Vidal at UCLA.  I would
> like to  generate a three-dimensional plot (and get a solution
> set) for an implicit equation of the form x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + xy + xz +
> yz == 1 (each of the terms on the left side may be multiplied by a
> constant--omitted).  The equations that I am working with will
> form ellipsoids.

MathSource has the following package which should be precisely what you're
looking for.

0203-409: 3D Plots of Implicitly Defined Surfaces (July 1992)
          Author: Steven Wilkinson
          Plot3D[] plots a function of two variables.  Many simple surface
          (e.g., ellipsoids, hyperboloids, etc.) are not the graphs of
          functions of two variables.  ImplicitPlot3D[] allows the user to
          plot surfaces implicitly defined by an equations of three
          variables.

          0011:  ImplicitPlot3D.m Mathematica Package (July 1992; 13
                 kilobytes)

          0022:  Examples.txt Example Plots for ImplicitPlot3D.m (July 1992;
                 4 kilobytes)

To have the files sent to you automatically, send an email message
containing the line "Send 0203-409" (no quotes) in the body of the message
to the MathSource server at mathsource at wri.com.  For more information about
MathSource include the line "Help Intro".

--Mark Moline
MathSource Administrator
Wolfram Research, Inc.
markm at wri.com	msadmin at wri.com