jitter in a DSP system, from s to z and from z to s

  • To: MathGroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: jitter in a DSP system, from s to z and from z to s
  • From: ganger at ferrari.sps.mot.com (Jeff Ganger)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 18:15:05 CDT

I am trying to build up a routine within Mathematica which characterizes
different specified clock jitter on a sampling function when going from
s to z.

I have various problems, one is that Mathematica's Fouier Transform is an
FFT and therefore cannot predict the spectrum of jitter data.

I also have tried to build two lists, one containg time and the second containing amplitude and sum up Impulse functions:

 v1 Exp[I w t1] + v2 Exp{I w t2] + v3 Exp[I w t3] + ...

This is mildly successful. The reason it isn't a totally success is that I
want to characterize S/N effects to 140db. This means my arrays are extremely
big, which means v1 takes forever to caluculate, for instance v1 could be a
Sin function. So both time and memory is a flaw with this methodology.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could do this? Also does anyone know
any references which analyzes jitter effects on the sampling clock for a DSP
system, i.e., when going from s to z and z to s.

Jeff Ganger