3D smoothing

  • To: MathGroup <mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 3D smoothing
  • From: Tapio Luttinen <100013.2275 at compuserve.com>
  • Date: 04 Jan 94 15:57:31 EST

Dear Mathgroupers,

Does anyone have a good 3D smoothing package? I have several probability
density estimates for vehicle headways at different flow levels. Now I want
to make a surface plot of the densities across the volumes. I tried
distance weighted least squares (of Systat), but that produced saddle
points in the peak at unobserved flow rates.

The density starts from zero, increases steeply to maximum and then
decreases exponentially. The mode is constant at different flow rates, but
peak height increases as the flow increases.

Any help appreciated

R. Tapio Luttinen

| Tapio Luttinen                      Tel. (work)    +358 (18) 752-4252 |
| TL Consulting Engineers Ltd.        Tel. (home)    +358 (18) 756-3332 |
| Kulmakatu 5                         Tel. (mobile)  +358 (49) 350-298  |
| 15140 Lahti                         Fax            +358 (18) 752-4253 |
| FINLAND                             E-mail 100013.2275 at compuserve.com |