Problems with Xwindows

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Problems with Xwindows
  • From: "Tyler S. Lorig" <tlorig at synapse.psych.wlu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 1994 13:43:06 -0700

Hello group,

I'm having some trouble with Mathematica 2.2 on the Indy (IRIX 5.2).  There are
three problems which I expect are interrelated.

1) I have 24 bit color and the X Environment window sees only 8 bit depth.
Changing the *windowDepth in XMathematica has no effect even though other
prameters can be changed via this file (eg. lpr -> lp, and background color).

2)  Live[ ] doesn't work.  A Mathematica Live window gets spawned and then goes
away - no error message No beep.  I have also uncommented the code in Motif.m
related to Live[] animations and get no change.

3. Watching the console during the launching of Mathematica gives the message:
 "Cannot read application resources file: ./Resources.app.mb.
Was the Mathematica X Front End installed correctly?
Is your X Resource *ApplicationResourcesDirectory set correctly?
 It looks like . to me."

I have re-installed the front end and I "thought" I got it right. Additionally,
permissions on Resources.app.mb indicate is is readable by everyone. This is
especially puzzling since Resources.app.mb is in the FrontEnd directory and the
path listed in *ApplicationResourcesDirectory is correct as is the path listed
in the XEnvironment help page. Other things that may help in figuring this out
- I have no .Xdefaults or init.m or XMathematica in my home directory.

I realize that this isn't a general purpose MMA post but I've been at this for
a while and I could use some help.
Thanks.

--
Tyler S. Lorig, Ph.D.