Re: Data

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Data
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 09:47:47 EDT

>I would like to know how to use data from a data file
>to solve an equation in a continuous loop. What procedures
>do I need to take to obtain this goal? Could someone please
>direct me in the right direction?
>
>Lost in Illinois
>Sab

Do you mean that you want to solve an equation repeatedly using sets of
parameter values read from a file?  One way would be something like this:

p = ReadList[ "file", {Number, Number, ... Number} ];
  (* reads parameters into p; see section 2.10.6 of the gospel according
     to Wolfram for syntax *)
While[ !MemberQ[ p, EndOfFile ],
  (* if the data file ended, p will contain the symbol EndOfFile in one
     or more entries - if it ran out in the right place, p will be *all*
     EndOfFiles - see p. 498)
       <your code goes here>;
       <output your solution someplace>;
       p = ReadList[ "file", {Number, Number, ... Number} ]
  (* grab the next round of parameters *)
];
(* when you get here, you're done *)

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 336-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 336-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE