Re: How to apply EdgeForm to ParametricPlot3D?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1725] Re: [mg1697] How to apply EdgeForm to ParametricPlot3D?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 23:56:37 -0400

> Hello.  Is it possible to apply the EdgeForm Graphics3D directive to a
> surface plot done with ParametricPlot3D?  The Book says nothing to the
> contrary, but I haven't found a way of getting it to work
> (i.e. ParametricPlot3D *always* draws black edges on the polygons
> forming the surface, regardless of EdgeForm directives).  Does anybody
> know how to do it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gabriel

Yes, it can be done very easily.  The following command shows a
ParametricPlot3D modified so it has no edges:

ParametricPlot3D[ {Sin[x] Cos[y], Cos[x] Cos[y], Sin[y]},
		{x, 0, Pi/2}, {y, 0, Pi/2}];
Show[Graphics3D[EdgeForm[]],%];

Or, you can do it in one command by doing:

Show[Graphics3D[EdgeForm[]],
	ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[x] Cos[y], Cos[x] Cos[y], Sin[y]},
		{x, 0, Pi/2}, {y, 0, Pi/2}, DisplayFunction->Identity]];

John Fultz
Wolfram Research, Inc.