Kernel Shutting Down - Help

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1172] Kernel Shutting Down - Help
  • From: cstevens at advtech.uswest.com (Clarke Stevens)
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 03:53:28 -0400

I'm running a program that does some matrix manipulation on a 486 PC.  It
churns through the data for a while then comes up with a message that "The
kernel is shutting down."  It then quits the calculation and I'm out of
luck.  It suggests increasing the kernel memory size, but I've already got
that maxed out at about 12 MB.  I've got about 40 MB of virtual memory, but
the kernel size can only be increased to 12 MB.  Is there anything I can do
to get the program to complete?  Could I reorganize some cells or
something?  Is there something I can do to cut down on the heap expansion?
Is there some way to increase my kernel size beyond the current limits?  Is
there a way to break my program up into autonomous segments and pass the
relevent data to reduce memory requirements?

The bottom line is that I really need to run this program and I can't seem
to find a way to do it.

Thanks in advance,
Clarke

--