Re: Kernel Shutting Down - Help

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1219] Re: Kernel Shutting Down - Help
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 01:59:53 -0400

In article <3pjl17$7h0 at news0.cybernetics.net>, cstevens at advtech.uswest.com
(Clarke Stevens) wrote:

> I'm running a program that does some matrix manipulation on a 486 PC.  It
> churns through the data for a while then comes up with a message that "The
> kernel is shutting down."  It then quits the calculation and I'm out of
> luck.  It suggests increasing the kernel memory size, but I've already got
> that maxed out at about 12 MB.  I've got about 40 MB of virtual memory, but
> the kernel size can only be increased to 12 MB.  Is there anything I can do
> to get the program to complete?  Could I reorganize some cells or
> something?  Is there something I can do to cut down on the heap expansion?
> Is there some way to increase my kernel size beyond the current limits?  Is
> there a way to break my program up into autonomous segments and pass the
> relevent data to reduce memory requirements?

It sounds as though you are using Mathematica for Windows
version 2.2.1 or earlier. (Since you talk about increasing
the Kernel Extra Memory setting.) Microsoft Windows 3.x
limits the size of memory segments to 16MB and this version
of Mathematica is able to access just one 16MB segment.

Mathematica for Windows version 2.2.2 and later uses the
Win32s libraries. Amongst other things this allows the
Mathematica kernel to address more than one 16MB memory
segment. Upgrading to the current version of Mathematica
for Windows (2.2.3) will allow you to access more memory
and may well allow you to complete this calculation.

Without seeing your code I cannot say if there is a way to
divide the computation up.

For information about upgrading your copy of Mathematica
send email to info at wri.com or call 1-800-441-6284 (in the
US).

I hope this helps.

--Ian