Re: Performance profiling & monitoring

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2059] Re: Performance profiling & monitoring
  • From: tgayley (Todd Gayley)
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 20:33:40 -0400

In article <DEupyF.2xM at wri.com> Bob Young <ryoung at kathmandu.scicomp.com> writes:

>Does anyone know of packages for profiling Mathematica code?  I need
>to find out where time is being spent in a large system, all written
>in Mathematica.  I would be interested in either approaches that
>monitor the Mathematica code itself, or Unix based tools that perform
>the observations "from the outside."
>
>Thanks for any pointers.

My profiler package, as described in the last Mathematica Journal (Volume 5,
Number 3), is now available. The package is written entirely in Mathematica,
so it works on all platforms.

In addition to the package itself (Profiler.m), there is documentation in the
form of a Mathematica notebook, Profiler_Manual.ma. The documentation has a
"Quick Start" section so you don't have to slog through the whole manual.

These two files are not yet on MathSource proper, but they can be obtained by
anonymous FTP to mathsource.wri.com. They are in the pub/outgoing directory.

Those of you who have been waiting for the package to become available, I thank
you for your patience.

Todd Gayley
WRI