Help--which platform to purchase Mathematica for?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4550] Help--which platform to purchase Mathematica for?
  • From: mashek at nwu.edu (Jim Mashek)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 04:17:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello--

My research lab will soon obtain our first copy of Mathematica.
However, we are unsure of which platform to run the program on--
we have available a Macintosh 7100/66 and a Sun Ultra 1/140.

I know that my Sun is faster than the Mac (looked at the speed
comparison web page), but I'm not very familiar with how the
program feels on the two platforms.  If anyone could offer opinions
regarding, for example, how user-friendly the two interfaces are,
I'd greatly appreciate it.  All opinions are welcome.

Thank you.

--
Jim Mashek
mashek at nwu.edu