Hyperbola - I think....

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5550] Hyperbola - I think....
  • From: "J. Matthew Nyman" <timeflux at concentric.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:02:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Okay, I have an equation for a sphere as follows:

r_s(t) = (x - x_s(t)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^1/2

This sphere has a radius of R.  The center of the sphere is (x_s(t),0,0)
and r_s(t) is supposed to give the distance between some points (x,y,z)
and the center.  But r_s is part of a function, as follows:

f(r_s) = tanh(S(r_s + R) - tanh(S(r_s - R) / 2 tanh (SR)

The S, R, and r_S can be arbitrary values that I calculate out.  I think
the "tanh's" mean that I end up with a hyperbola.  What I want to know
is, given this information, does anyone know how I can plot out a
hyperbola on Mathematica.  For simplicity sake, say S = 8, R = 1000, r_s
= 20.  Is there even enough information there to do it?  This is for a
physics class, in case anyone was wondering.