Re: Books - tutorials / reference guides

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3272] Re: Books - tutorials / reference guides
  • From: News Owner <news at rigel.rz.uni-ulm.de>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 02:11:12 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: Re: Books - tutorials / reference guides
>Date: 20 Feb 1996 08:14:55 GMT

>In article <4g6je9$94i at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, Andrew Murray
><AMurray at ngmint.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Is there anywhere I can get information on tutorials / reference guides
>> for Mathematica, or are there any books anyone would recommend?
>>

>There are over 100 books published about Mathematica.

>One of my personal favourites is "Mathematica: A Practical
>Approach" by Nancy Blachman.

Excellent if you are just starting out, but not that good for any non trival
problems. IMO the best way to learn about Mathematica is: Unwrap Mathematica,
work through Nancy's book cover to cover and sell the book

>Nancy Blachman: Mathematica: Quick Reference, Version 2

That's essentially the reference section of "The Mathematica Book", but in a
real niffty format (a small ringbook you should keep on your desk at all
times).

>William T. Shaw and Jason Tigg: Applied Mathematica: Getting Started,
>Getting It Done

If you are a scientist, you really shouldn't be without it, lots of great tips
and nontrival tutorials (MathLink, maximum entropy reconstruction, DSP etc.).
It's not a good first book, but you really should make it your second.

I don't know all of the other ones Ian mentioned, some of them might be good,
I know some of them are not IMO, but won't name them here;-)

Lars Hohmuth
Sektion NMR
Uni Ulm

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====