Re: Q: Getting interspike intervals in neuronal firing patterns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3459] Re: Q: Getting interspike intervals in neuronal firing patterns
  • From: pecora at zoltar.nrl.navy.mil (Lou Pecora)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 00:58:53 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4hm07m$m6m at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
cottmann at zmnh.zmnh.uni-hamburg.de (Tobias Cottmann) wrote:

> a friend of mine has some neuronal simulations which return the time
> course of the voltage across a neuronal membrane. These voltages exhibit
> sharp peaks of which he needs to know the position (i.e. the time or the
> time between two spikes).
>
> I'm posting this in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica and bionet.software
> since he uses Mathematica. So he'd like to have some package finding all
> the peaks in an automated fashion. But if there is any other program which
> is suited to get those intervals it will be fine as well.
>
> We are using Macs and Unix-Machines in our Lab.

This is not a direct answer, but we had some need to do something similar
with bursting from chaotic systems (finding the bursts and the burst
intervals).  We found the scientific plotting program IGOR to be very
useful.  It's pretty easy to program, has very powerful features (along
with graphics) and can handle large data sets.  If you will be doing lots
of data analysis/plotting, you should check it out.  It's very popular
with the Mac scientific crowd.  It's available only on the Mac.

--
Lou Pecora
code 6341
pecora at zoltar.nrl.navy.mil
/* My views are not those of the U.S. Navy.
   If you want their views, you have to go to war. */

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====