Re: Using a remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3376] Re: Using a remote kernel
  • From: george at mech.seas.upenn.edu ( George Jefferson )
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 04:14:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

:How do I tell my 2.2.2 front-end to use the kernel present on the UNIX
:mainframes present at my university?  My computer (Mac PPC with built-in
:ethernet) is connected via TCP to the network where the mainframes are.

The setup follows the mac interface well...poke through the menus
and its pretty trivial to figure out.  The main sticking point
may be that you need to have a telnet communications device installed.

Sorry for the non-answer..really an excuse to ask my own question.
When using the remote connecton Is there a way to quit the kernal
without dropping the connection?  Restarting the remote
kernel takes soo...long, most of the lag being in the telnet-login
process..

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====