Re: Using a remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3372] Re: Using a remote kernel
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 04:14:09 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4h3lg1$1od at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, "Mark G. Jackson"
<mgj2 at acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

> How do I tell my 2.2.2 front-end to use the kernel present on the UNIX
> mainframes present at my university?  My computer (Mac PPC with built-in
> ethernet) is connected via TCP to the network where the mainframes are.

Setting up remote kerenl connections is done through the "Kernels
and Tasks" dialog accessible from the Action menu.

Briefly you open the dialog, type in a kernel connection name,
click on the "MathLink" radio button and then the "Launch on"
"Remote Machine" radio button. Make sure the Kernel program
field reads "math" and then edit the Remote login field. It is
usually enough to replace "username" with your username for the
machine in question and "password" with your password for that
same machine. Now you need to click on the "Connection" button
and in the Connection Settings dialog enter the IP address of
the Unix machine.

This is described in detail on pages 190-194 of the Mathematica
User's Guide for the Macintosh.

If you need further help I would suggest that you contact
Wolfram Research Technical Support (support at wolfram.com)
directly.

I hope this helps.

--Ian