TagSet in nested functions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2529] TagSet in nested functions?
  • From: Armindo Salvador <qusystem at cc.fc.ul.pt>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 02:51:42 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mathgroupers,

I apologise if this message is repeated, but I have sent it more than a week
ago and did not see it appear meanwhile.
I want to associate the assignments
        f[g[x]]= expression    and    f[x][y]= expression
to symbol x.
I tried
        x/:f[g[x]]= expression;    x/:f[x][y]= expression;
but in both cases Mma just returns the messages
        TagSet::tagpos: Tag x in f[g[x]] is not in a valid position for
assignment.
        TagSet::tagpos: Tag x in f[x][y] is not in a valid position for
assignment.

I consulted the Stephen Wolfram's book but I did not find any useful
suggestions to solve this problem. So, I will appreciate knowing if Mma just
does not allow the above type of TagSet or if there is some clever way of
doing it. If this is a limitation of Mma will it be overcome in future versions?
(I am using version 2.2.3 for MS-Windows)

Many thanks in advance.
Armindo Salvador
Grupo de Bioquimica e Biologia Teoricas - Instituto Rocha Cabral
Cc. Bento da Rocha Cabral, 14   |Phone/FAX: +351-1-3854725
P-1250 LISBOA / PORTUGAL        |

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====