Re: X FrontEnd settings for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3568] Re: [mg3551] X FrontEnd settings for Mathematica?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:34:10 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Does anyone know how to change the X FrontEnd Style settings
> for mathematica? In particular, I would like to change the
> default input font and the background color.
> (of course, I can always change things through the Edit Styles...
> option; but doing this for every mathematica session is a big
> pain.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> eugeneha at cco.caltech.edu

The default styles for every new notebook is in a notebook called Normal.ma
by default.  You can change the settings in Normal.ma using Edit Styles...
if you have write access and don't mind making global changes for everyone
on your system, or you could use the File Location Preferences (Preferences
submenu of the Edit menu) to point to another notebook which has the styles
you prefer.  The notebook you point to for default styles doesn't have to
be any kind of special notebook--in fact, it can be a notebook that already
has some of your work in it.  The only important point about the notebook
that you choose is that it shouldn't change names or locations, or else
Mathematica won't know where to look for default styles anymore.

If you want to change the defaults for existing notebooks, you should set
your new defaults notebook appropriately, open the existing notebook you
wish to modify, and click All Default Styles under the Style menu.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
Applications Group