Re: addressing matrix elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3585] Re: addressing matrix elements
  • From: pecora at zoltar.nrl.navy.mil (Lou Pecora)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 03:26:15 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4itopk$v8 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, drc at emi.net (David Cabana) wrote:

> Say M is a matrix of integers.  I want to func[M, k] to return a matrix
> same dimensions as M, each entry consisting of the corresponding entry of
> M taken modulo k.  For instance, func[{{22,33}, {44,55}}, 10] should
> return {{2,3}, {4,5}}.  I would like this to work for arbitrary
> rectangular integer matrices, but am not having much luck.  It seems like
> this should be easy,  but I'm stumped.
>
> More generally, I would like to be able to apply a function f to each
> element in a matrix of arbitrary size and dimensions, without worrying
> about the particulars of the matrix representation via lists.  I want
> func[M, g] to return a matrix of the same size and shape as M, with
> elements formed by applying g to corresponding elements of M.  Is there
> nice way to do this?  Seems like some combination  of Map, Apply, Thread,
> SetAttributes Listable, Outer, etc. could do the job, but I am lost in the
> morass of possibilites.   Any help would be appreciated.

How about func[M_,k_] := Map[Mod[#,k]&,M,{2}]  ?

The {2} tells Map to apply the "pure function" Mod[#,k]& at level 2, the
matrix component level in your case.  Pure functions are worth learning
about.  Should generalize easily to your other matrix functions.

--
Lou Pecora
code 6341
pecora at zoltar.nrl.navy.mil
/* My views are not those of the U.S. Navy.
   If you want their views, you have to go to war. */

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====