Re: packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3633] Re: packages
  • From: wagner at bullwinkle.cs.Colorado.EDU (Dave Wagner)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 02:47:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4jahoc$3tg at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
hall robert <rhall2 at umbc.edu> wrote:

>I don't know if this is a clue or not, but with the packages I can
>load, I get the dialog box asking me if I want to initialize the
>notebook whenever I open the notebook. With the packages I can't load,
>I get no dialog box when I open the notebook.
>
>I'm baffled.

Yes, that's a pretty big clue.  You need to ensure that the cells
containing code for the package are marked as "initialization cells".
This is in one of the menus (it differs on different platforms).  In
Windows, for example, I believe it's a top-level menu item, but on the
mac it's buried in a "cell properties" submenu.

Notebook files are written so that everything is surrounded by (*
comments *) except for the contents of initialization cells.  This
allows you to read a notebook directly into the kernel, as opposed to
opening it in the front-end, without the kernel having to know anything
about notebook file formats.

		Dave Wagner
		Principia Consulting
		(303) 786-8371