RAM & CPU Usage Maxed Out???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3426] RAM & CPU Usage Maxed Out???
  • From: bsmith at esoteric.pmeh.uiowa.edu (Brian Smith)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 01:47:27 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am having a bit of a performance hit in running Mathematica 2.2.4
on Windows 95.  After launching the kernal yesterday I popped up the
CPU usage meter and found it maxed out at 100%.  The meter didn't
budge as long as Mathematica was open - even when it wasn't doing
anything.  Moreover, if I switch to another program, the hard drive
begins swapping like crazy.  95 has to go to the HD just to pull
down menus!  Then when I switch back to Mathematica, it pops up
almost instantaneous without swapping.  It's as if Mathematica grabs
my entire 16MB of RAM when it starts, and refuses to give it up.

Has anyone else noticed this, or found a way to tame this "feature"
of Mathematica?  Maybe change the priority of the kernal...

* Does the same thing happen under Windows NT?
* Would it help things if I had, say, 32MB of RAM?

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.

Brian Smith
Department of Biostatistics
The University of Iowa
phone: (319) 335-9785