Mathematica 3.0 vs Matlab

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5181] Mathematica 3.0 vs Matlab
  • From: bhunter at cat.bbsr.edu (Bill Hunter)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 01:35:54 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At the risk of starting a flame war, can anyone comment on whether
Mathematica 3.0, with its number crunching improvements, is efficient
enough to replace matrix-oriented tools such as Matlab for pure
numerical tasks?  Informal benchmarks would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have yet to see 3.0 in action, so this question is driven by
teaser descriptions on Wolfram's Web page and at least a bit of
wishful thinking.