Is there a Bug in Plot function ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5096] Is there a Bug in Plot function ?
  • From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <crobc at epix.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:03:44 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I plotted a rather simple function via:

k = 1;
dk = 0.1;

W[x_] = 2 Cos[ 2 Pi ( dk/2 x ) ] Sin[ 2 Pi ( k x ) ]

Plot[ W[x,0] , {x,-20,20}, PlotStyle->{Thickness[0.002]} ]

and the resulting plot has severe problems, such as straight lines
connecting points on the curve where the sinusoidal cycles that
should have appeared simply were skipped.

I have made adjustments to the PlotStyle settings, and at times I
can get some plots to be correct (various values of k and dk).  But
there is little consistency, and most combinations are not plotted
correctly.

Is there any solution or explanation to this problem ?  Also, I
wonder if it is kernel specific.  I have Mathematica version 2.2.4
student edition, for Windows.

Christopher R. Carlen
crobc at epix.net           (please send mail here)
carlenC at cs.moravian.edu