Q:Is there a "effective digit" function?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg6937] Q:Is there a "effective digit" function?
- From: Shiou-Jhy Ja <jshiouj at radar.ecen.okstate.edu>
- Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:48:17 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Oklahoma State University, Stillwater OK
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi: Mma 3.0 alwayse give us good precision result. let's say my result is 1.234567890123456, and I just want 1.234. How can I do that? I've tried N[1.234....,2], but still get the same result. Next try is to use NumberForm, but the outcome seems not to be a number. I can't use test=NumberForm[...], then do test+1. The worst way I've done is to use: Round[1.2345....*1000]/1000 but the numerical error still give me problems. The output sometimes like 1.2340000000001. Somebody please tell me where I can find an answer! Thank you very much! Puck