Re: MMa 3.0 and special font symbol on Mac - Problem.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6939] Re: [mg6914] MMa 3.0 and special font symbol on Mac - Problem.
  • From: Xah Lee <xah at best.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:48:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 2:00 PM -0400 4/25/97, Louis M. Pecora wrote:
>I have a character like a script "f" in my file names on my Mac.  It is
>typed in Courier (and other fonts - Times, Helv., Geneva, etc.) as an
>Option-f.  When I ask for Directory[] Mathematica gives back the names
>with the usual script f replaced by a capital A with double dots over it
>(like typing Option-u and Shift-A -- the German umlautt (sp?)).  This is
>making it hard for me to SetDirectory[] and handle files in general.  I
>use Courier font in MMa.  Does anyone know what is going on here?

Mma is designed to be cosistent among plaforms. Ideally, the specical
character "f" would be converted to equivalent Unicode (if there's one),
but too bad we don't live in a perfect world. My experience suggests that
you really want to avoid platform specific file namings.

(I got rid of those special "f" folder names for the same reason.)

 Xah
 xah at best.com
 http://www.best.com/~xah/SpecialPlaneCurves_dir/specialPlaneCurves.html
 Mountain View, CA, USA