Re: Mathematica Art

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8186] Re: [mg8120] Mathematica Art
  • From: Fabian Haas <b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 03:07:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

fractalier at aol.com (Fractalier) wrote:

>I have recently been given access to Mathematica 2.2 but have little
>knowledge about it's use and syntax, etc...  The professor who turned me
>on to it intimated that it had a rather steep learning curve so I thought
>I would approach all of you first....
>
>I am very interested in generating interesting 3D solids for texture
>mapping and rendering...I have used another system quite a lot in the past =
and
>have done quite a bit with Spherical-Harmonics-type 3D forms in both
>spherical and cylindrical coordinates.  Please visit www.lifesmith.com to
>see what I mean.
>
>What I need is some simple instruction, code fragments, pointers,
>suggestions, anything that allows me to hit the ground running so to
>speak...My old prof raves about this program and its
>wonderful graphics capabilities but doesn't have the time to devote to
>me....
>
>Thank you very much in advance.  Kindly post your replies here or e-mail
>me at fractali at www.lifesmith.com.
>
>Take care,
>
>Jeff Berkowitz, M.S.
>Fractalier/Owner
>Lifesmith Classic Fractals

Jeff,

well for the basics just get the Mathematica Handbook which contains almost=
 everthing on Graphics primitive, options etc. It also includes small=
 program examples, so you can learn the syntax. If you professor has the=
 full version then he must have this book otherwise look in the library. The=
 Author is Stephen Wolfram, its thick and black.
The next step is  Tom Wickham-Jones Mathematica Graphics which goes much=
 more into detail but you will need a little understanding of the code=
 before. Should also be available in a good library. (If you need details to=
 get it write me).
Also you could try
http://www.wolfram.com/index.html
and
http://www.mathsource.com/
There you should be able to find further hints on graphics and fractals.

Last but not least I programmed a few filters which translate Mma Graphics=
 in DXF and Rotater files.

Hope that helps

=46abian

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut f=FCr Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
b5hafa at pop3.uni-jena.de
http://www.zoo.uni-jena.de/~fabian/