Re: Locating text in Show

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8293] Re: [mg8205] Locating text in Show
  • From: "Sherman.Reed" <sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:46:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

STEVE, SEE NOTE BELOW.
----------
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg8293] [mg8205] Locating text in Show
> Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 10:24 PM
>
> --------------AD9963CAE69038D8BEBBACD2
>
> I am trying to label points in a graph that I am generating with the
> following.  Before I attempt to overlay the two graphics objects I want
> to get the text to locate in conjunction with the points on the circle.
> In other words I need to locate the text at the vertices of the octagon
> with an offset.  I am finding that all but the first three points of
> "dots" are located at the bottom of the graph.  Does anybody have some
> insight into what is going on here?

SURE, THE POINTS ARE THE LOCATION ON THE UNIT CIRCLE WHERE THE
VERTICES OF THE OCTAGON ARE LOCATED.  THE POINTS BEGIN IN MID
FIRST QUAD AND ROTATE COUNTER CLOCKWISE AND ENDUP AT THE
BEGINNING OF THE FIRST QUAD.  PLOT YOUR POINTS MANUALLY AND
YOU WILL SEE THEY DO JUST WHAT YOU WANT, ALMOST.

THE VERTICES OF THE OCTAGON AND THE TEXT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE
AND THE VERTICES OF THE OCTAGON OVERLAY THE TEXT FOR THE POINTS.

SOLUTION IS TO EITHER SHRINK OR EXPAND THE CIRCLE THAT CONTAINS
THE TEXT DATA.  EASY TO DO WITH TRIG.  IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM,SEND
ME A NOTE.

Sherman C. Reed
sherman.reed at worldnet.att.net