How to change 'working' directory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8093] How to change 'working' directory
  • From: "Greg Keogh" <greg at werple.net.au>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 03:23:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello again from Melbourne Australia,

Sorry to bother you again so soon.

Thank you to the dozen-or-so people who responded yesterday to my query
about multiple ListPlots. The cryptic DisplayFunction parameter works
wonderfully.

My latest problem is how to change the default directory for open/save
notebooks for V2.2, all my work is stored on a network drive under
'u:\greg\math22' and I get sick of manually changing directories.

Experiment 1 : Under Win95 I tried to simply change the 'Start In' working
directory to point to my network drive, but this causes init.m to be not
found and then all the preloaded packages can't be found.

Experiment 2 : I modified the init.m file by appending a SetDirectory
command so it looked like this:

  (* Mathematica Init File *)
  $Path={".","C:\\MATH22\\", ...etc... )
  SetDirectory["u:\\greg\\math22"]

This does correctly change the 'working' directory, BUT ... not until after
the kernel has been loaded. It looks like init.m is not processed until the
kernel is loaded. If I start MM and go immediately to File Open, the
directory is still the default MM install directory.

What's the correct way of changing the 'working' directory?

Cheers,
Greg <greg at werple.net.au>

Ps. Please cc replies to my email address so I get them ASAP.