Re: inverse command of Series[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8122] Re: inverse command of Series[]
  • From: daiyanh at mindspring.com (Daitaro Hagihara)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 00:55:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dr. Abott,

>An alternative approach is to note that a large class of functions have
>hypergeometric series expansions.

Do you know an Mma package for expanding arbitrary functions in terms of
hypergeometric functions?  Does it work like the built-in Series function?

The reason I ask for this is that I'm interested in solving ODE completely.
I've had a limited success with ordinary Taylor series expansions since
that restricts ODE solutions to algebraic functions in the parameter.
(This approach, however, can lead to solutions where Mma's DSolve package
fails.  If interested, I'll post the procedure.  But note that it is slow.)
Maybe this hypergeometric series expansion can break such a barrier.  TIA
Daitaro Hagihara