Re: Version 3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6323] Re: [mg6314] Version 3
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 23:26:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mr D R Gautam <esujh at csv.warwick.ac.uk>
[mg6314] Version 3
writes
>The system I am using has just changed to version 3 and I'm having
> problems displaying greek letters. I remember reading in the book
> that greek letters lay between 913 and 1009 but how do I display
> these characters. If I try "\:913" nothings happens can anyone
help > as I can't get a copy of the text book

Davinder,
Are you using the Notebook front end or the kernel terminal?
>I can't get a copy of the text book
The book whole book, and more, is on disk - for greek letters look
up the menu Help>Help>MasterIndex>Greek.
Some patterns for getting greek letters are exemplified by the
following for alpha:

\[Alpha]                     (*full name*)
Escape, a, Escape	     (*standard alias*)
Escape, alpha, Escape	     (*standard alias*)
Escape, \alpha, Escape       (*TeX alias*)
Escape, &agr, Escape         (*SGML alias*)

You can also click greek letters in from palettes.

For ASCII code:

FromCharacterCode[Range[913, 1009]]

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk