(fwd) Re: Discrepancy betw HP unix and mac versions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7245] (fwd) Re: Discrepancy betw HP unix and mac versions
  • From: tburton at cts.com (Tom Burton)
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 19:14:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Fri, 16 May 1997 18:33:17 GMT, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica tburton at cts.com (Tom Burton) wrote:

Steven Christensen,

This may be a duplicate. If so, I'm sorry. I'm sending this because I am suspecting that my ISP is fouling up again, so my previous post through the NG will not reach you.

Tom

On 16 May 1997 02:49:35 -0400, stephenbou at aol.com (StephenBou) wrote:

>I noticed a discrepancy in the way Mathematica for HP unix (version 2.2)
>and the Macintosh 3.0 versions handle the % operator for a series of
>commands WITHIN THE SAME NOTEBOOK CELL.
>
>In the HP unix version, these commands in a single cell,
>
>2+2;
>x=%
>
>gives as output and assign to 'x':
>
>4

In version 3, the behavior of two expressions standing alone in a cell, separated by a semicolon and a return, epends on the Form:

InputForm: hese are two separate expressions, as if the semicolon were not there, yielding 4.
StandardForm: These are two parts of a single compound expression, yielding previous result.

So the difference isn't version 3 vs version 2 per se; rather, it's due to the fact the Version 2 doesn't have StandardForm, and Version 3 defaults to StandardForm.

David Withoff clued the Mathgroup to this curiosity a while back. Note the implication for context changes, such as Needs[package]!

Tom Burton