Re: arguments in functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7247] Re: arguments in functions
  • From: "Alex Scheitlin" <alex-s at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 19:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wolfgang Hitzl <W.Hitzl at uibk.ac.at> wrote in article
<5k67dg$gfs at smc.vnet.net>...
> Hi overthere,
>
> I just start Mathematica 3.0 and I like it very much.
>
> There is a thing I do not understand, when I define a easy function
> with an overhat, it does not work, i.e.
>
> f[^B_]:=^B.^B;
>
> e,g, ^B is a square matrix and the ^B is the overhat[B]
> is this in general impossible  in Mathematica 3.0 ??
>
> Best wishes and hope to hear soon from you
>
> Wolfgang
>
> Mag. Wolfgang Hitzl
> Institute for Mathematics, Institute for Microbiology
> University Innsbruck, Austria
>
> e-mail: W.Hitzl at uibk.ac.at
>
> Internet:
> http://pcwww.uibk.ac.at/edvz/c702102/
>
> Tel: ++43 512 507 6075
>      ++43 512 507 6019
> Fax: ++43 512-507-2928

The following works.

First download the upgraded Notations package from
http://wolfram.com/~jasonh/Notation.html

and replace the distributed package (follow download instructions)

then
[1] <<Utilities`Notation`
[2]Symbolize[^B]     (* using your e-mail notation, this converts ^B into a
Mathematica symbol*)
[3]f[^B:_]:=^B ^B      (* Note the colon in ^B:_ it is necessary)
[4] f[2]
out[4] 4  (* Now it works*)