FW: installing Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9458] FW: [mg9429] installing Mathematica 3.0
  • From: Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 02:40:05 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think messages where people talk about installation problems / font
problems should not be distributed across the mathgroup.  Instead the
originator should contact Wolfram Research Tech Support.

The forwarded message is an example of this sort of thing.

     Ted Ersek
     ersek_ted%pax1a at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
 ----------
mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
installing Mathematica 3.0 on S |Date: Wednesday, November 05, 1997
7:01AM |
|<<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
|Hi,
|

|We have a problem concerning the fonts when installing the Mathematica
|3.0 version on a SUN-workstation and on HP-UNIX workstations.  The
|SUN-workstation serves as the license server, also towards the HP-UNIX
|workstations.
|For that, it is necessary that some paths should be added to the font
|server.
|However the command 'xset' is unknown on the Sun 4.1.4 Workstation, and
|on the HP workstation, this command results in the following error: |
|xset:  bad font path element (#42), possible causes are: |    Directory
does not exist or has wrong permissions |    Directory missing
fonts.dir
|    Incorrect font server address or syntax |
|The solutions proposed in the FAQ on the Wolfram homepage didn't seem
to |work in our case.
|We would appreciate it very much if someone can propose other
solutions. |
|Please, send also a copy of your reply to schreurs at imec.be |