Re: Mathieu, Weber, and Spheroidal functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9658] Re: Mathieu, Weber, and Spheroidal functions
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:30:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hashemi at sun.iust.ac.ir wrote:

>         I would like to know if there is any way to call mathematica  functions
> (like Bessel Functions) from a FORTRAN program and vice-versa (i.e., to
> use mathematica to compute some functions in my own FORTRAN program).
> Also, is there anyway to compute Mathieu, Weber, and Spheroidal
> functions of complex argument using mathematica and subsequently use
> these values in our FORTRAN  code? I will be very happy to hear from
> you soon.

I posted a reply to this on Wed, 15 Oct 1997 and sent a copy to you
directly.  Did you not receive it?

If you are using Unix you could use InterCall.  InterCall is a
Mathematica package designed to make it easy to link Mathematica and
fortran.  See

	http://www.wolfram.com/~terryr/

Mathieu functions of complex argument are built-in to Version 3.0:

In[1]:= ?MathieuC
  "MathieuC[a, q, z] gives the even Mathieu function with characteristic
  value a and parameter q."

In[2]:= ?MathieuS
  "MathieuS[a, q, z] gives the odd Mathieu function with characteristic
  value a and parameter q."

Yn(z) is referred to as the Bessel function of the second kind, the
Weber function, or the Neumann function (denoted Nn(z)). BesselY is
built-in.

Spheroidal harmonics are not built-in.  However, last year I wrote some
Mathematica code for computing the (angular prolate) spheroidal
harmonics by expanding the solutions to the differential equation into
a basis of associated Legendre functions.   This code is short and
computationally quite efficient and appeared in The Mathematica
Journal, 7(1): 18-22.

You could use InterCall or MathLink to call Mathieu or Weber functions
from fortran code.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player