Re: Is Mathematica 3.0 book a good book/Manual? Re: Book recommendation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9697] Re: Is Mathematica 3.0 book a good book/Manual? Re: Book recommendation
  • From: "charles loboz" <charles at please.no.spam.syacus.acus.oz.au>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:31:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

After grappling with the problem for almost two years there is my
idiosyncratic view:
- Mathematica is a big system; simple things can be done simply; on this
level books like Nancy Blachman are very good; but this will give you
1% of Mathematica; these books belong to the type 'excel for dummies' -
you using 1% of excel capabilities, but that may be enough for you

- if you need more - and you usually do - there is a spate of good,
solid books in the middle level; like Gray, Kaufmann and many, many
others. My personal preference is Patrick Tam 'A Physicist Guide to the
Mathematica' as it gives good grounding in programming Mathematica with
plenty of interesting examples.

- if you want to _really_ learn Mathematica there is no better book than
David B. Wagner 'Power Programming with Mathematica' - it explains how
and why and also what's inside. Reading it a year ago would have saved
me plenty of time. Worth reading - for beautiful style - are Meader's
books.

- Wolfram's book is to me like unix man pages. If you know what you want
and you know Mathematica it is a very good book. It definitely does not
replace any of the books previously mentioned.

Sergio Rojas <sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote in article
<64qqi6$jf7 at smc.vnet.net>...